Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Blood on my face!

The sound of an alarm going off is something I hate to listen to. It is placed right next to ‘talking to an HR manager’ in my hate list. Sometime back I found a way to avoid listening to an alarm, by simply not setting the alarm. Recently I have gone one step further. I threw my alarm out of the window and never bothered to buy a new one. Thus these days I wake up on my own. The routine after waking up has become very much robotic these days... Things I do are pre defined like the steps of an algorithm.

I wake up, go straight to the front door doing a sleep-walk, pick up the newspaper. When I say newspaper, I mean ‘The Hindu’. I consider it to be the only one which can be called a news paper. I pick up the news paper and head straight to the toilet. Having an infotainment intake while doing a biological dump is absolutely necessary for me. (In case the newspaper guy forgets to put the paper, I look for a book or magazine.) The sheet that is taken in is decided based on the day of the year and the things happening worldwide. If there was an Indian cricket match or balls were send across a lawn tennis court on the previous day, I take the sports page(s) in. If on the other hand, the news paper is filled with trash like Palestine-Chechnya issues and Manmohan Singh vouching for Natwar Singh’s chastity (or whatever), I prefer to take the supplement Metro Plus in. A strip of Calvin and Hobbes is any day preferred.

After a lot of cost benefits analysis conducted over a number of days, bath has been assigned a slot immediately following the above described ‘action’. One advantage of having a toilet bathroom combination is that you save one opening and closing of doors. The next in line in my above mentioned algorithm is brushing my teeth. Then comes the most difficult task of of the morning, ie deciding whether or not to shave. It’s a pain to shave everyday, and if I can convince myself that my stubbles give me a ruf-n-tuf look, I happily skip shaving for the day. I miss that lady who used to force me to come with clean cheeks by reminding me almost daily that ‘gentlemen shave’ .

Today morning, I finished all the tasks up to shaving as usual. I started the complex to-shave-or-not-to-shave debate with myself. It was then that I remembered that I have an appraisal meeting today, and decided in favor of the act of shaving. My Mach3 in action. When I was doing some masterful strokes across my jaw line, I started thinking about accidental cuts during shaving. Usually you get a cut when you are in a hurry, when you are shaving before an important meeting or before a date with your dream girl, and you end up going to the great occasion with a band-aid plastered across your face. It was ages since I had my last cut, as these days, I don’t get tensed no matter what the situation is, and on top of that I was not in a hurry as I had all the time in the world at my disposal. My thoughts reached thus far, and the next instant I see blood on my face :_) Dunno how it happened, but I managed to cut my lower lip. The wound was not deep, but since Mach3 is damn sharp, bleeding doesn’t stop easily. I looked in the mirror and saw a red dot enlarging on my lower lip, like the one Carrie Anne Moss had on hers in Memento ;_).

It was then that another thought flashed in my mind. A number of Bollywood scenes in which 'a hero cuts his fingers and the heroine carefully sucks the blood with all the tenderness in the world' came rushing to my mind. I missed having a dear darling who would have done that exact same thing with my lips ;_). Kudos to Chetan Bhagat who wrote somewhere - men become romantic in the most unexpected situations and for the weirdest of reasons. :_D. There I was, with a Mach3 in my arm, a cut and a red blood spot on my lower lip, and looking for my sweet heart who would wipe it away in a romantic manner.


“buddy you are a young man...

you got blood on ya face

you big disgrace...”

18 comments:

Unknown said...

kettichu ayikaan samayamaayi!!...eni thamisichaal "kalipaa". anyways..quite romantic..

Rita said...

Buddy, I want to say something that may burst your romantic bubble. Is five minutes extra in bed worth all this trouble in the morning?
Hee hee!

Sonia said...

how the heck did u manage to cut ur lip while shaving? chin, cheek, throat- all ok. but lips??

Erosimian said...

how did u manage to but yourself using a mach3?

I am a Mach3 user too. never had ANY cuts so far.

do u wield it like a machete or axe?

Erosimian said...

oops. cut*

Geo said...

@Nagu: Ye to Nagu? :_(. Let me enjoy my final years of freedom before I surrender myself to the ultimate power ;_)

@Rita: Ha ha ha... nice question. But it was not because I was running short of time.... I can check in (I mean swipe in) any time at my desk :_D

@Sonia and duttan : I knew this would sound incredible. Let me explain it... I had my razor in my right hand. My face was tilted to the right by around 20 degrees. The left most area of the razor is gracing through the left side of my jaw. The right end of the razor which was gliding through air until then came dangerously near the left corner of my lower lip. I was digging deeper into thoughts. I am clear upto this point. Either I kept moving the razor towards my lip or my lip had a sudden shiver. The next thing I see is blood on my face :_D

silverine said...

Well... it looks like someone is missing his lady. That's what this post is about isn't it? Call her :)

Aashi said...

dilemma and debate with self about-"to shave or not to shave"....hehehe!!!....my hubby also does the same.He comes and tells me...i dont look that bad na today,i'll shave tomorrow.Hehe!!
And sweethrt ,i think u got that cut cuz u were already dreaming abt the girl who wanted u to be clean shave...hai na...sach bolna!

Geo said...

@Silverine: Wow! That was fast. You showed me where is my ITHAKA and what is my ZAHIR with that short comment. Thanks, ma’am ;_)

@AF: I know u r influenced by Silverine. :_) otherwise how could u find a connection between those two sentences :_(.

Aashi said...

Actually i read silverines comment just now after u pointed out..
i said like that cuz the first thought i got after reading ur post was u r missing her...and geo remember u told me something...!

sinusoidally said...

God you are so funny! and soooo lazy!

Rat said...

Kaun Hai Jo Sapno Mein aaye...
Geo, if u r shy, gimme her number.
I'll call her up ;-)

What u said about news papers is true..
There is a 'news pauper' named TOI.
All yellow, gossip, no news !

Geo said...

@AF: hmm.. well...:_)

@Sinusoidally: hmm... funny as in 'joker' rite... i too feel that way these days :_D

@Rat: only number? what abt full address with a road map? :_D. With friends like you.....

True, TOI is trash...

hope and love said...

hmmm very sexy post..
:))
thank god it was only ur lip that u cut....
hehehe...!!!!!

Geo said...

Ha ha ha....

you are my idol dear Doc... :_D

-Poison- said...

You big disgrace
Wavin’ your banner all over the place

We will we will rock you

Geo said...

long live the queen

:_D

Anonymous said...

we have something in common here my friend... lord knows how many alarms I have broken over the years... now I have a failsafe mechanism.. I put 3 alarms, all diff places across the room... I have to get up and go over to put it off.. by the third time I am usually wide awake ;-)