Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Blocks, Phases, Sectors

I wonder who the bloody heck had this wonderful idea of dividing Bangalore into Blocks, Phases, Sectors and what more and what not...
DIVIDE AND RUIN!
As if these on themselves are not confusing enough, they have bestowed on us Mains and Crosses.
147th W Main, 69th cross.
It sucks man, it does big time.

Had the misfortune of venturing out towards Jayanagar 3rd block Yday. I had the full address of the place where I wanted to go(enlightened by some previous place search expeditions). Even then it turned out to be a night mare.

Silk Board -> BTM -> JayaDeva -> Jayanagar…
Was happy as I knew third block would be somewhere close by. Asked a rick-driver where 3rd block is. That bloody idiot looked at me as if I had asked for directions to Buckingham Palace. On to another rick-driver. Same result. These rick-drivers should be nominated for national award for best acting. Its so natural. These people ply their three wheelers to the nook and corner of the place day in and day out and when you ask them for some place as well-known and generic as Jayanagar third block, (that too after reaching Jayanagar area), the response you get is not much different from the response which you might have got had you asked the same question to a Mumbai Marine Drive rick-driver.

At last one helpful soul gave me directions to reach 3rd block. Reached thus far safely. Next big question "Where is 8th F Main?"
-"This is 13th Main"
-"Sorry, I don’t know"
-"Ask that paan-waala"
-"I am not from this place"
Come on!!! If none of the people I meet on Jayanagar street are from that place, then were they all air-dropped there yesterday? (I know this is a silly question, but then, u get silly when u r frustrated)

From pillar to post. I guess I even asked an electric post :)
After another 15 minutes, I realized that I was going in circles around 3rd block area. And after about 3 and 3 quarter revolutions, I decided to dump my beloved bike and to march ahead to glory.On foot. Another seven people.

Finally I was able to reach where I wanted to. It took me little less than 45 minutes and interviews with not less than 15 people to find out 8th F main after reaching 3rd Block.

If at all I get to lay my hands on the architects of this city X-(
Grrrrrrrrrr

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, sounds very familiar. Well Bangalore is peopled with new entrants who are as lost you are. And the crosses and mains dont make life easier either. Next time ask for landmarks when someone gives you an address. It always works.:))

And architects wot architects? Bangalore just happened wham!!! one day.

Sujith said...

thats why i asked you to stay in vashi when u were in mumbai. atleast u wud've know how the sectors/crosses/mains of a planned city works ;-))

Anonymous said...

> jithu
oh! so that was why you who asked us to stay in Vashi...I was wondering why I spent more than 2 years of my life in Vashi ;-)

hope and love said...

iv never gone to Banglore.
;)
txs for dropping in my blog..

Geo said...

@Silverine: In fact I went with a land mark... But "Utsav Restaurent" was not good enuf to fetch me directions... I started trying out all possible pronunciations like "UTHSAV", "ULSAV", "OOTHSAV" ....
@Jithu: ;_) yet another thoughtful/helpful deed by you.
@Kiran G: Now I can understand why you agreed to settle down somewhere which doesn’t actually resemble medieval Europe. ;_)
@HnL: welcome to Bangalore :_)
nice to meet you ;_)

-Poison- said...

nice! rick drivers r tht cruel?