Saturday, July 01, 2006

One around, two on top

I know I havnt been so regular at blogging… had loads of work… tuff days… conf calls… dead lines… escalations… all typical stuff of software industry.

Now the first phase is over… I will be here for some more time, dunno if its for good or bad. :-)

Another long weekend. July 4th weekend. Since 3rd is a working day for us and our project kicks off on that very same day, I cudnt take a day off and plan for a trip… So I am stuck here.

Since I didn’t have anything to do for the evening, I thought of getting a hair cut done. By the way, I got up late, and was watching both the soccer matches, so it was 6 when I left my house for the haircut. Since this is a long weekend, most of the saloons remained closed…I wandered a bit and finally managed to find one… I checked the timings and it was supposed to close at 7:00 PM and it was already 6:50 PM. The lady allowed me to sneak in even though I didn’t have an appointment. Thus far things were working fine.

Ok, so this “hair stylist” wraps me in a black coat, and looks at me for directions… I said “Just a regular trim”. She replied “Just a regular cut?”. If only I had answered in the affirmative, everything would have gone well. But at that split second another conversation flashed through my mind. Sometime back I had asked my friend abt hairstyles here, and he had said something like ‘One around , two on top’ – which I understood to mean something like they make it somewhat close on the sides and allow double of that on the top.

So this bit of information was retrieved by my brain cells, processed at lightning pace and was delivered as output to the hair stylist. Should say I was trying to impress her by showing my knowledge about the ‘in-style’. (Heck, this one around thing is something which every T, D and H knows. So there is nothin much to show off in that) Anyways, I proudly proclaimed ‘One around, two on top’. She gave me a quizzical look and offered “That would be too close, should I try one around and three on top?”… I was like, well, err, ok, fine, go ahead.

The action that followed also took place in lightning speed – She took out a trimmer, put size 1 blade and mowed the entire left side of my head in one swing :-(. Before I cud respond, I saw the skin of my head on that part of my head :-(. It was bad enough. Then I thot – Ok, may be she will now trim the hair on top with a pair of scissors and adjust it a bit… I was waiting for her to finish off the side job and then instruct her on how to trim the top floor. I saw her changing the blade. I thot she was going to make sides smoother or something, but what she did was changing form size 1 to size 3 and mowing down a part of the hair on top of my head :-(. Its not as close as the sides, but then having 1 millimeter hair at some part of your and having 3 millimeter hair at other parts looks almost the same. :-(

Now I look almost like I did a clean shave. I wont forget the way my roomie was rollin on the floor laughing when he saw me after 'the cut'. Dunno how will I show my head in the office now. Have decided one thing – no more going for ‘in-style’ things. “Just a regular trim” is all I am going to say in any saloon for as long as I remember this.

23 comments:

Geo said...

Thank u sir, for that fast comment :D

yea I am doing somewhat fine... life is hectic, but ok... :)


u want that photo? no wayyyy :D.. I am gogin to get a court order banning anyone from photographing me till i regain sufficient amount of my hair =))

-Poison- said...

mottey!

-Poison- said...

get a wig :D or better clean shave it!

kickassso said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kickassso said...

mair-uth-anne alla alle;)

venus said...

in-style, huh!!
don't worry, u are not going to see it except when u look in the mirror, it's for others to suffer, not u :)
and it's summer, so u can call it a summer cut :D

Rat said...

:D
After a long time... Had a gud laff again!
BTW, do you shave your beard yourself orr???? ;-)

Thanu said...

look at the brite side, no hair cut for 2-3 months now.

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO =)). Post a snap here. Or just send it to me and I'll host it somewhere :D.

Jiby said...

geo, thats tough man!!! so u got a mexican flat-top going???

i hated haircuts in the us aliya!!! those stupid barbers and their mean machines. and at the end of 2 minutes they have a $14 bill!!! many of my friends became adept at cutting each others hair.

i used to have a mexican ammachi cutting my hair for $7. she wudnt know any english and i used to take a foto of mine and indicate to her i wanted that much hair left on me!!!!

i think delhi has the best barbers in the world...man they are so cool with their work and at the end of the cut they bang ur head like a tabla but it felt nice to hear a hollow sound...with me wondering if i had nothing in my head.

sorry for the long comment...u wrote abt a very touchy issue for me in the US!

Sujith said...

mandatharathinu kaiyyum kalum vechittu geo ennoru perum koode ittal athu nee aayirikkum :p

quills said...

Hair today, gone tomorrow..saramilla will grow back. :)

Btw, good to see you back in action and Good luck with your new project

shruti said...

awesome maan .. made me really laugh ..feel sorry for U ...be BRAVE !!

Rat said...

JIby's comment on the tabla-sound was funny.. I too get a chance to enjoy that divine sound of music. And here, in this part of the world, you need to shed 50 indian 'dollars' for a haircut-with-tabla :D

Anonymous said...

hehe!
U mean to say tat ur whole lifes a blend of humour and pottatharam?
Wow!y is tat only some people hav all te fun in life


dream gal applicant

sandeep said...

geo, i had warned u by a similar incident happened to me..
when i asked for a crew cut, the barber asked me single length or variant.. i said single..

then he asked which one? 1 to 5? not going to extremes, i opted for 3..

and i had the same what happened to u..
i think i'd told this to u.. still?? :(

Geo said...

Poison, thy day shalt come… :_) thou shalt get an answer then.

Kicks, hahhaa… mair-uth-anne… ellaam pooyillee ;_)

Venus, so how was it ;_) was it too bad?
Yea..yea…thanks for that, I have been telling others that I went for a summer cut

Rat, danks buddy :_D… well, I manage my beard myself…

Thanu, yea yea, three months is my guess too :_)

Dipu, No way. Photography prohibited.

Kiron, Ha ha ha… instead of sending it to you, I can send it to Manoram Kottayam office :_)

Geo said...

Jiby, Thanks for that long comment :_) bigger the better :_)
And more thanks for sharing your story… shd say it was consoling to know about fellow sufferers. Mexican flap-top? Well, sounds nice, I will use it next time :_)
I remember getting my head massaged along with a haircut when I was in Mumbai and Blore.

Jithu, ninne edakkedakku kaanunnathum ninakku pattunna mandatharangale kurichu ariyunnathum maathramanu enikkoru aashwaasam

Quills, thank you thank you… :_)) Thanks for that hair rising wish and also for the one about the project.

Shruti, hahahaha =))… yea, I am tryin to be brave and laugh with the ‘world’ which laughs lookin at my head.

Anonymous,
Thanks for that compliment

Sandeep,
Brutus, u telling me this only now? U hadn’t told this to me before. :_(
Anyways, now I will keep this in mind :_)

@rChU said...

Hey I definitely wud like to see u pic like that...am sure even after this saga u wud still look a hunk in ur new army-cut!!!

hope and love said...

i think u MUST post ur pix.. c'mon.. be a sport and post it..
:))

Aswani Kumar said...

Eee pennungalu parayunnathum kettu nee aa cheracha pic onnum post cheyyalle...Pande durbalan ini garbhanan koodi aayaalo..Anyway enikku thalliyude chiri imagine cheyyanaakum...

Lee said...

Ha ha!!..Been there..Done that! :D

But still nice to hear it from someone else too :)

Mind Curry said...

aww man..but you must look really cool anyway..so dont worry.