Friday, January 06, 2006

5 . some1

Reasons why ‘five point someone’ should be treated as an epic. All the guys out there should read, understand and remember the following words-of-wisdom.

1.
“I am so sorry. Are you all right?” she enquired, tucking her hair behind her ear.

I was not all right, and it was her damn fault. But when a young girl asks a guy if he is all right, he can never admit he is not.

“I was actually jogging,” I said, holding her hand and getting up as slowly as I could without being obvious. Who wants to abandon a pretty girl’s hand? Anyway, I had to after I was standing up.

Don’t ever miss a chance for an intro.

2.
We got into the car. I saw her sit carefully in the driver’s seat, as if she was running the starship Enterprise or something. Then she placed her bare foot on the accelerator. Now may be it is because I am an engineer, but that was hot. Bare female skin on metal is enormously sexy.

I know this sounds weird, but I agree with the author. There are other such sights, like a bangle-d hand holding a sledgehammer in a smithy workshop, and many others...

3.
I saw Neha again, it was a nice surprise.

“Hi” I said, raising my hand to catch her attention. She looked at me, and then kept looking, her face expressionless. She acted as if she did not recognize me. Then she went back to flipping pages of the notebooks she had just bought. Now that was hell, I mean, if you are in a public place and say ‘hi’ to a girl, all beaming and everything and she’s like ‘have we been introduced?’

The shopkeeper looked at me, as did a few other customers, and I felt like low-life though I gave it another try. “Neha it’s me! Remember the car accident in the morning?” I said.

“Excuse me” she said huffily and departed. This time the shopkeeper looked at me like I was a regular sex-offender.

Address her in public on your own risk. If you dare address her when her relatives are around, chances for your relatives to bail you out are higher.

4.
“Hi” said Neha.

Go to hell, was my instant mental reflex. But I turned to look at her and damn, she was pretty. And with that one tiny dimple on her right cheek flashing every time she smiled... Now try saying ‘go to hell’ to that.

Will somebody who managed to do this please raise his hand?

5.
It is hard enough to say no to pretty girls or to ice-cream but when it’s offered together, it is well nigh impossible.

Any doubts, anybody?

6.
“I said I am sorry, Harri” she said, and touched my arm again like she did earlier. I kind of liked that, I mean, which guy wouldn’t. You have this pretty girl all smiley and touching your arm; better than ice-cream I tell you.

Do I need to say anything more?

7.
“Yes I even got a license” she chirped and opened her bag to show it to me. She started taking stuff out of her handbag and a million things came out – lipsticks, lip balms, creams, bindis, earrings, pens, mirrors, wet tissues and other stuff that one can live without.

Important lesson: Never open a lady’s bag, you sure gonna get lost in the things that are gonna pop out.

8.
“Still I like chivalrous men” she said, repacking her bag and the million belongings.

I did not know if it meant something. I mean, did she want me to know what kind of men she liked, or did she want me to be like the man she liked, or did she like me. Who knows? Figuring out women is harder than topping a ManPro quiz.

Epics are written on this topic.

9.
She had made it pretty safe for me, but I tell you, the first time you ask a girl out for a date, its like the hardest thing. Almost as stressful as vivas.

Experience speaks!

10.
I did not answer her. I mean, I just thought it weird that I could call her only on that one day a month, like I had a dental appointment or something. But girls are weird, I was learning.

Start learning.

11.
That is the thing with girls. They are like half your size or something, but if they know you like them, then boss you around. Who the hell did she think she was?

So true :_(

12.
Like a trained pet, I got up from the seat opposite and sat next to her; pretty girls have this power to turn Mary, making lambs out of people.

Anyone has any valid points against this?

13.
This time, madam had asked for a gift. She made his whole deal about how I actually never gave her anything, and how other girls got gifts from their friends. I mean, it was asinine logic if you ask me, as there were things she could give me, and without much capital investment. To have the nerve to ask for a gift on top of this deprivation is something only woman can do, as they are made differently after all.

(If this looks like a reply to one of the recent posts in a popular blog, then its pure coincidence ;_))

14.
Maybe it was not completely true. But it wasn’t all lies either (and in any case, it is about saying the right thing to girls, who gives a damn if it is true or not....)

Remember, its all about timing...

15.
Girls are beautiful, lets face it, and life is quite, quite worthless without them.

Period

16.
Man why is it so hard to explain stuff to girls. Cant she just get on with it? Should I say something dumb that she wants to hear?

“Neha, I know I did all those things. But at one level, it wasn’t me. It wasn’t your Hari” I said. Obviously, I made no sense. But that is the thing with girls. Give them confusing crap and they fall for it.

This is a trade secret. Plz don’t reveal.

17.
Ryan stayed silent; I guess he was searching for another topic.

“How is your girl?” he asked after straining his brain for twenty seconds.

That is how Ryan addresses Neha. He never says her name, as if she being ‘my girl’ is more important than her being Neha.

“Neha is great. Going for a movie next week”.

“So you guys serious?”

“Serious about what?”

“I don’t know, like you love her and everything?”

“I don’t know” I said.

That’s how men talk about their relationships. Nobody knows anything – neither the questioner nor the answerer.

This is the ultimate one. I agree with this cent percent. That last sentence summarizes all that is to be said about how men see relationships..

18 comments:

kickassso said...

WHOA!
*STUNNED*
DEJA VU-DOOOO!

Damn, now i can never write my autobiography:(
man, point #17 is so profound, (and so true!!!!! men really dont have a clue....)

Erosimian said...

I don't know if this is relevant to this post, but....

2 days ago, at Urja 06, in the midst of the fragging, a bunch of girls arrived to see what was going on.

I put on a frag video and *poof* *vanish*

:-D

-Poison- said...

lets all become hermits...

(thats the solution!!!)

hope and love said...

ha..! ha..! ha..!

girls.. girls... girls...

ninakku vere vicharam onnum ille..?
:))

Anonymous said...

I didn't read his first novel. But after going through your post and his second novel(one night thingy) it seems he sees girls are totally dumb who needs a serious tweaking in their grey cells. Didn’t I say that it is an eye candy novel? And you say that it’s classic. I think you too need some tweaking.

Geo said...

@kickassso:
Fella sufferer, I knew I could get your sympathy. :_) Deja-Vu indeed!!!
Most of the chapters of our autobiographies (at least the ones about our college life) have been written already. Its just a matter of changing the names :_))

@->DUTTAN<-:
Very much relevant buddy :_)
Somehow, when you use the words girls, video and vanish in the same sentence, it conveys loads of meanings... :_))

@-Poison-:
Guess it is the only option left.
But I am worried about point 15. :_(

Btw, u took this decision because u r fed up with all these or u had enuf and more of it? =))

@Alexis Leon:
ROFL.... When I went through the book for the first time, like kickassso mentioned above, I was seeing black cats of Deja-Vu in each chapter :_) especially for points like 3, 4, 8, 11 and all :_))

Then I thot of extracting these points out of their context and presenting them as they are... together they convey the complete story I guess...

@hope and love:

ROFL =))...

You wont understand my feelings.... u belong to the ruling class, try placing yourself in the sufferer’s shoe... :_D

Anyways, thank you doc, for the reality checks you force me to have :_)

@Anonymous:
I have read both his novels. To be frank, ON@CC is crap. I dunno ur gender, otherwise I cud have elaborated on “he sees girls are totally dumb who needs a serious tweaking in their grey cells” :_) I have a feeling u belong to the ‘ruling’ class :_))

If you ask my opinion abt the book FPS, then I wud say this romance thingy is just a sub-plot and I like the book for its main plot... I admire the author because I could relate to the story. Lemme repeat the word Deja-Vu....

silverine said...

1.If I was Chetan Bhagat I would have sued you for hitting home the fact that he is a moron when it comes to gals.

2. If I was among the eligible male population of India, I would either worship you ( if I was a loser with gals) or lynch you for letting out out trade secrets.

3.If a single gal reads this, she may never trust a guy.

4.And if a gal in a relationship were to read this she would nod her head...not in understanding but in desperation at the fact that here was another confused male soul (among the many before who have gone to their graves) who cannot figure out the simple working of a female brain.

p.s please make arrangements for a towel or a tissue for female visitors to this post. It is literally dripping Testosterone here.

Great post!! You outdo yourself each time :))

Anonymous said...

Mashe, damn good one !! Quite a nice tribute to a such a nostalgic book (Small robber, romantic moodil aanallo? Aa kaaki kuppaayathilum oru kalaahridayamundu alle?)

I too remember a
"Bangle-d hand holding a sledgehammer in a smithy workshop" but somehow it was not too sexy.........probably bcoz it belonged to my classmate Binwant Singh
Cheers
flaash
(keep blogging machaa)

Thanu said...

I recently read an another post similar to this here

Both of u had qouted ur last point. I need to get this book, sounds intresting.

Guys and Gifts:
I'm married and my husband doesn't believe in gifts. He says what is the point in him shopping for hours to get something that I might not even like. So he tells me go and get what ever u want. U do it anywaz..

Guys and gift :(. I even sent him Silverine's guide to gift buying still no luck.

venus said...

FPS is a good read, a ditto of 'Men are from Mars Women are from Venus'. I skipped a few pages where the the motu guy, other than hari and ryan, tries to commit suicide.

I can see any average guy going thru the same sequence of experiences what chetan bhagat has mentioned in 5.some1.

Usually, i am not a novel/fiction fan, I read only exceptionally good ones and this was one of those :)

call center one is li'l behind in my list rightnow, catching up with more priored ones rightnow. have you read it yet?

Geo said...

@silverine:

Something personal first. I really pity your gonna be hubby, poor chap is gonna die of rolling on the floor...

Now back to business,

1. Ha ha ha ha... not the first time I see your rage towards CB =)).... As I mentioned above, romance is just a sub plot, and I don’t think you should measure the book based on that.
2. I like that phrase ‘loser with gals’ =)).
3. As if she does trust a guy if she doesn’t read this =))
4. Somebody pls pass some water, I am tired of rolling on the floor... u said ‘simple working of a female brain’.... joke of the century. You don’t need to say ‘another confused male soul’, ‘male soul’ is enuf.

After cameraware, I guess towel/tissue providing web-browser will be the next geeky invention. :_)

@flaashgordon:
Thanks machu :_)

Ithu romantic mood-o? :-O ithu nashttaboodham :_) I guess I am a bad writer :_))

Punjab da putar ka kangan utharne keliya gaya kyaaa :_D

Geo said...

@Thanu:
See, all of us poor men think alike... I guess this is not mere coincidence. :_))
Your hubby IS sensible; he chose the wise way out. :_)
So the proclaimed FCP Silverine is doing a lot towards the cause of her community, eh?
But good to see sensible guys averting the catastrophe by blissful ignorance :_)
Just imagine the state of ur bank accnt if you start gift-voucher-ing for 1000+ Indian $s for all the occasions...

@venus:
I like FPS for its main plot, ie, what not to do in a college. I cud relate to the incidents narrated in the book, as I myself have done most of those monkey tricks along with my friend gangs... That mottu guys name is Alok. I am sure u have met at least a couple of prople who match the description of each of the characters in the book...

Lemme warn you, One Night at a Call Center (ON@CC) is crap. Don’t read it with all the expectations and all... its just a below average book sold out of hype from FPS. I bought the book and finished it before midnight, but wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Sujith said...

man FPS was an awesome book. But personally i didnt like ON@CC. btw Chetan Bhagat is a goldmedalist from IIMA, though he describes himself as a laid back student and all. dey btw Neha is a mallu ;-)

silverine said...

Thanks for the gombliments!!
I still re eiterate my stand about the simple working of a female brain :))We are an uncomplicated species, very easy to get along with and with none of that complicated macho bullshit. In short we are simbly too good for you guys =))

( but then Guys are nice, lets face it, they make us nurture our cooking skills, washing skills, housekeeping skills and rolling pin throwing skills ;) )

kickassso said...

We are an uncomplicated species

To you women might seem so, but damn!
We're still waiting for the first martian <-> venutian dictionary!

venus said...

gotchya geo! I won't read ON@CC until I'm really in the mood for something no brain reading :)

-Poison- said...

where are you geo..long time no see...
:_(

Matter of Choice said...

i empathise...fully..totally :)